Saturday, September 02, 2006

The Griefcase

It is a gray wet windy day twenty miles north of where The World Trade Center used to be. My brain is blank as a slate. I'm thinking my muse wandered off sometime during the night, probably off with Ernesto blowing up a storm. But still, I awake, and I remember...

On December 30, 2003, my husband, Edward Louis Sclier, was diagnosed with cancer -- Endocarcinoma, Doctor said. Stage three.

It was precisely that moment, I knew I would be a widow. 92 days later, I was right.

Today's quote is from "Solitude" by Ella Wheeler Wilcox. It's out of
"Good Poems" by Garrison Keillor, a gift from an archangel wandering the halls of Westchester Medical Center one dark and lonely night. She found me holding up a wall outside Ed's hospital room crying my heart out. I will never forget her act of lovingkindness. Thank you, Beverly Kipp, wherever you are.

"Rejoice, and men will seek you;
Grieve, and they turn and go;
they want full measure of all your pleasure,
But they do not need your woe.
Be glad, and your friends are many;
Be sad, and you lose them all,--
There are none to decline your nectared wine,
But alone you must drink life's gall."

Today, after we remember Him, let's not forget the few who stood by us through it all.

And now for Mourning Joy.

Q: What's the difference between a jeweler and a jailer?

A: A jeweler sells watches and a jailer watches cells.

Submitted by Diana DeWitt


Good Mourning Widows! Have a Joyful day.

And remember: We're not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You have permission to email Linda Della Donna at grief case net (all one word) (the) @ (sign) gmail.com with your grief comments/questions. Responses to your grief questions will appear here.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.