Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Mourning Joy


"Strangers are just family you have yet to come to know."


Mitch Albom, author of "The Five People You Meet in Heaven."


Good Mourning Widows!

Today I offer Joy to you and me. Joy Cowley.

I met Cowley one year ago. It was at a Highlights for Children writing workshop in Honesdale, PA. Joy led the workshop. Immediately, I was impressed at her zest -- and joy -- for life.

I was grieving deeply at the time over the death of my husband, Edward Louis Sclier. I struggled to maintain focus on my writing.

With her warm smile, Joy Cowley welcomed me. She accepted me. And she made me feel at home. After a time, I learned Joy was a widow, too.

I wondered, how did this woman do it? Imagine, she smiled and laughed. Again.

I wanted desperately to be alone with Joy and learn her secret.

Joy said, "Give yourself time. You can't hurry grief."

Today, after we remember Him, let's make time. I mean, what's the hurry?

Then pick up a pen. And write something.

Write about strangers you've met; strangers you've yet to meet. Strangers that have become your friends.

Write about time, hurry, and grief.

Just write!

Go ahead. I dare you.

Mourning Joy:

Q: What has 4 legs and flies? (Hint: It's not a dead horse.)

A: 2 pairs of pants.

Have a joyful day. And remember, we're not alone.

:)L

No comments:

Post a Comment

You have permission to email Linda Della Donna at grief case net (all one word) (the) @ (sign) gmail.com with your grief comments/questions. Responses to your grief questions will appear here.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.