Friday, October 13, 2006

Risky Business


And sometimes you just gotta say, what the ....?


Widows make mistakes. It's what we do after He leaves. Try as we may, stuff happens.
Today I made a BIG mistake.
HUGE.
GIANT mistake.
If you drive the Cross Westchester east, exit right at Westchester Avenue, you'll see it. It's the great big shopping mall with the upscale shopping store -- That's the day job where I work as a sales associate. I dress the rich, the famous, the ladies of leisure who take time from their charitable events, their tennis matches, their golf outings, their busy day to spend the day s-h-o-p-p-i-n-g. Hopefully, with me.
Last week I waited on a young woman -- Pretty whisp of a thing -- She needed a dress for Saturday night -- Tomorrow. The Bo Derek-look-alike picked out a stunning black Carmen Marc Valvo at a steal of a price -- $895.00 plus tax. It needed a bead restitched around the neckline. It needed to be delivered.
I said, "No problem."
She said, "Fine. I'll take it. But I must have it by 2:00 p.m. Friday."
That was Tuesday.
I said, "No problem."
Looooooong story short. I screwed up. I sent the $895.00 steal-of-a-black-dress to the wrong address.
Of course I am sorry. Of course I am royally screwed with this woman. Of course I am back-peddaling fast as I can, but the damage is done. It is 2:15 p.m., and I'm unable to fix the unfixable. And the worst part, there is no Edward Louis Sclier to put my arms around and hear those magic golden joyful words echo my favorite refrain, "Everything will be alright."
Time to do what every widow does when we fall flat on our face --
Sing my favorite famous tune --
Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over, again!
Time to move on.
Have a joyful day Widows! And as I remind you daily, remember, we're not alone.
:)L

No comments:

Post a Comment

You have permission to email Linda Della Donna at grief case net (all one word) (the) @ (sign) gmail.com with your grief comments/questions. Responses to your grief questions will appear here.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.