Wednesday, November 01, 2006

A Mourning Joy Memory...

"Ma. Did they have baseball when you were a kid?"
--George L. Griffin III


Good Mourning Widows!

Joy to you and me.

Outside my window leaves the color of pumpkin glisten in sunshine while a yellow-eyed grackle big as a cat stalks the back woods of my townhouse. Elbows on desk, my chin rests neatly in the palms of my hands as I stare into space and contemplate my Mourning Joy.

Last night, after I remembered Him, I was feeling 'bout as gray as an elephant's ear. I kissed my small dog, Izzy, on his snout, ruffled the fur of his little cat, Tux, and said my prayers. Turning out the light, my eyes gazed on a picture of my son with his lovely new bride. It was then I recalled a little boy's words, the ones spoken on a brisk autumn day, back in 1986. He was 11 years old. I was 38. They made me laugh then. And they make me laugh now.

This morning I'm still laughing at my son's not-so-famous quote.

I love you, George. Thank you for making my day!

Guess, you just had to be there.

Have a joyful day Widows. And remember, we're not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You have permission to email Linda Della Donna at grief case net (all one word) (the) @ (sign) gmail.com with your grief comments/questions. Responses to your grief questions will appear here.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.