Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Tree Knows, by Ben Zion Bokser


Naked and lonely,
Bereaved of her children,
The brood of green foliage,
The tree stands in the winter cold
Shaking in the wind.
She bears witness to her faith
That the world will green again.
The storm bends her,
But she remains rooted
In the spot
Where God or man
Stationed her.
She knows through the wisdom
Imbibed in her flesh
That storms recede,
That spring returns,
That her hard limbs
Will grow soft again
At the touch of a warmer sun,
And the crown of new foliage
Will mark the renewal
Of her life.

Hug a tree!
Plant a tree in His memory!
Be the tree!
Good Mourning Widows,
Today is Thursday, January 4, 2007.
Here I sit in my office, 20 miles north from where the World Trade Center used to be, eye-shifting from computer screen to t.v. screen, finger tapping a desktop plastic keyboard.
Dawn breaks.
Izzy snores.
Tux poses like a sphinx.
ticky-ticky-tap-tap
Ahhhh, Mourning Joy!
Channel 5 News reports:
Uexplained unidentified flying object the size of a golf ball hurtled through space and crash-landed into a home in Freehold, New Jersey;
Federal Government can now read my mail -- yours, too.
Temperatures will rise to 60 degrees.
Herpes virus is related to Alzheimer's...Sippy cups cause tooth decay...Brangelina...Blah, blah, blah.
Oh, who cares?
Yesterday I walked Izzy.
Yesterday I hugged a tree.
Yes.
I wrapped my arms around Mr. Barkman -- And, with all my might, I squeezed.
I recommend it wholeheartedly.
As Tony the Tiger says, "It's GRRRRRRRRReat!"
Have a GRRREat day Widows!
I'm off to walk Izzy. I got a date with a tree.
And remember, we're not alone.
:)L

No comments:

Post a Comment

You have permission to email Linda Della Donna at grief case net (all one word) (the) @ (sign) gmail.com with your grief comments/questions. Responses to your grief questions will appear here.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.