Friday, June 22, 2007

A Friday Night


"Now he wasn't hungry any more--and he wasn't a little caterpillar any more. He was a big, fat caterpillar." --The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
My fingers ache. My hands are dotted in latex paint the color of snow. Izzy lazes round as a button at my feet while I tip-tap a desktop computer 20 miles north from where the World Trade Center use to be. I'm almost done.
What began as a project I figured would take one week, has spread to one week more, perhaps one more after that.
The walls are clean and bright.
The bookshelves are painted.
The window sill, also.
Like an Everready rabbit with energy to spare, I have begun the arduous chore of ripping up the carpet and padding, toting it to the curb in front of my home.
This evening I plan a night out. I figure I've earned it. I set a budget for my new home office, plan to use existing pieces of furniture scarfed and scavenged from different rooms in the house, my only major purchase was a carpet on sale at a major discount store. With padding and installation, my cost is less than $300. I am one proud widow. By emptying the room of furniture, ripping up and disposing the old carpeting myself, I saved more than half the total cost.
Like I said, I've earned a night out.
What about you, dear widow? I know it's hard to do the things we must do in order to get on with the rest of our lives. But like the very hungry caterpillar in Eric Carle's picture book for children, it's time to get fat. Get ready. Be a butterfly. Spread your wings.
I'm here to say, if I can do it, so can you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You have permission to email Linda Della Donna at grief case net (all one word) (the) @ (sign) gmail.com with your grief comments/questions. Responses to your grief questions will appear here.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.