Friday, June 15, 2007

A Friday - Thoughts of The Sopranos and Edward Louis Sclier


“It's weird...you know the end of something great is coming, but you want to hold on, just for one more second..."--Unknown
So it's over. From scarfing down onion rings to a blank screen. Finito! That's it. People throughout the free world got up off the couch and smacked their TV sets thinking something mechanical had gone wrong. Er, maybe hoping. They just couldn't understand ending. They wanted more.
It is three years, one month, 15 days since Edward Louis Sclier's life ended. Sitting in the dining room of my townhome recalling The Sopranos' last episode, reading reports about fans' reactions--squawks, complaints, comments--about the question mark ending to a weekly show they had grown to love, made me remember a different time in my life, a different ending to a life and world I had grown to love, the one that left me wishing and hoping for more.
Ahhh, I remember.
I didn't have a good marriage. I had a great marriage!
My life with Edward Louis Sclier was one big date.
Why wouldn't I want more of that? Why couldn't I have more of that? What was with that big black screen in my life that developed into that big black hole?
In the big picture, everyone knows, sooner or later, all things end.
To TV viewers who cannot agree what a perfect Soprano ending should have been, perhaps could have been, maybe never should be, my message is simple, I'm a widow. I understand.
Fade to black.
And that's the way it is, this bright sunny day, 20 miles north from where the World Trade Center use to be, my small dog, Izzy, curled at my feet, his little cat, Tux, perched on a window sill, licking his paws, and me, tip-tapping the keys of a laptop.
Have a joy-filled day, Widows. And remember, we're not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You have permission to email Linda Della Donna at grief case net (all one word) (the) @ (sign) gmail.com with your grief comments/questions. Responses to your grief questions will appear here.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.