Thursday, July 26, 2007

An Open Letter To Joan Didion, Author of "The Year of Magical Thinking"


To: Joan Didion
Wherever You Are!
Dear Joan Didion,
Whenever I hear the name, Joan Didion, I remember...
It is 3 years, 2 months, 26 days since my husband died.
It was after the rains came, after the clouds parted, after the sunset. It was our 16th wedding anniversary. It was May 1, 2004.
On the day you became a widow, a Tuesday, December 30, 2003, Joan Didion, I received notice I would become one.
We were rolling along, like two chips in a cookie, life was good. Bam! The news that Edward Louis Sclier had an inoperable tumor hit approximately the same time John Gregory Dunne collapsed to the floor in your Manhattan apartment. It was in a hospital room, 20 miles north.
Joan Didion, I have followed your interviews, "After Life," The New York Times Magazine, September 25, 2005 / Section 6; AARP March&April 2007, "Writing to Live." I have read your book, The Year of Magical Thinking. Twice. I have emailed the globe in the hope of making contact with you. More than anything I want to meet you, to interview you, and to tell you what a shining example you are to widows just like me.
Ed didn't live long after his diagnosis. It was a losing fight right from the start. When it was over I was a wind sock after the storm, limp and lifeless. I dared myself to write, created a blog, and wrote free ezine articles for new widows going through the grief process. Encouraged by famous widows, I grew strong.
You don't know me, Joan Didion. Odds are, you will never read one comma in this post. But, I'm taking a chance. I'm tossing my pen into the air. I dare to write Joan Didion and ask the big favor:
If you are out there, Joan Didion, somewhere, anywhere, please dare to share an interview with Griefcase. If you are, then I'm available to catch a falling pen, and record your words so that other widows, the ladies who tune into this blog daily, can learn from you, a famous widow, how you get through one day without Him.
Name the place, name the date, and name the time. I'll be there. Just say the word.
Thank you, Joan Didion, wherever you are.
Linda Della Donna
littleredmailbox@aol.com

2 comments:

  1. I hope Ms. Didion reads this as well. She should be so lucky to be interviewed by you.

    Joan-come out, come out, wherever you are.

    I dare you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,

    I hope Ms. Didion reads this too. You have plenty of magical thinking of your own you could share.

    Suzanne
    The Working Writer's Coach
    http://www.workingwriterscoach.com

    ReplyDelete

You have permission to email Linda Della Donna at grief case net (all one word) (the) @ (sign) gmail.com with your grief comments/questions. Responses to your grief questions will appear here.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.