Wednesday, August 01, 2007

In Loving Memory of Karen Doty, Hospice Nurse

My friend, Karen Doty, is dead.

Where to begin? As a writer I should have proper special distinct words to describe Karen Doty, friend, hospice worker, mother, wife, sister, cousin, co-worker, confidant, angel, nurse, cheerleader, neighbor and more this sunny Wednesday morning 20 miles north from where the World Trade Center use to be. But, I don't.

Truth is I've searched my writer's tool box, shaken my silly sack of prose, flipped the pages of my favorite books on poetry and quotations written by famous people throughout history, only to come up what I call, numb and dumb.


I find comfort in Karen's words. Words she wrote to me shortly after the death of my husband, Edward Louis Sclier.

It fills my senses with mourning joy to share them today. To Karen Doty's entire family, my sincerest condolences. May your days be filled with mourning joy forever.

In her own words, and for all the world to see:

Dearest Linda -

Anna Quindlen wrote: 'Knowledge of our own mortality is the greatest gift that God ever gives us, because unless you know the clock is ticking, it is so easy to waste our days, our lives.'

The dark days ahead will become technicolor! I promise! You, Linda, have learned something enduring about life. We all have to go down that path, but who is beside us is what matters the most. It makes life important. Ed made you acutely aware of how special you are! So special, that you were there until the very end. How blessed you are.

How blessed that I was there to bear witness to you the amazing, special Linda!

Please know that I am here for you. I will remain in touch -


Fondly,
Karen
5/04

4 comments:

  1. Dear Linda,
    I'm really sorry about the loss of your friend. I can tell by the words she once wrote to you, she contributed to life...just as you do everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda thanks for sharing your friends special words to you. Sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda,
    I know this was a difficult post for you. It just further proves that you have the heart and soul of a writer. Unafraid to put your vulnerability out there for the world to see.

    May you hold memories of your friend inside your heart forever. Remember, butterflies are forever.
    (wink)

    Taryn
    www.MangoTreeCafe-LoiKrohRoad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Linda. I was a friend of Karen's. Karen and I worked together as Hospice nurses. I had not learned of her death until today on the message board at the Hospice office. Karen and I worked together with you and Ed. I have thought of you often and how odd that news of Karen's death has led me back to you. I am so saddened by this news of Karen's death...how can it be? She was a beautiful person and I can only hope that when I am no longer occupying this space on earth, I am remembered like Karen and Ed are remembered. Peace...I hope you are well. Laurie O'Neill, RN

    ReplyDelete

You have permission to email Linda Della Donna at grief case net (all one word) (the) @ (sign) gmail.com with your grief comments/questions. Responses to your grief questions will appear here.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.