Monday, September 10, 2007

Karen Doty - Hospice Nurse - Friend - An Open Letter


"...The best relief from life was the presence of a friend who seldom asked us for more than we could give." --Barbara Raskin (b. 1935), American Writer
Dear Karen,
It is 1 month, 13 days since your tragic death. I can't begin to tell you how sad I was at the news of your passing. I will not judge, I will not comment. You are my friend and always will be. In the final analysis, you are the ultimate judge of yourself, as I am the ultimate judge of me.
Yesterday, September 9, 2007, at 10:00 AM, I honored your memory with Griefcase's first event. It was the least I could do to honor my friend. Named in your honor, commemorating your more than 30 years of service to countless families throughout Westchester County, New York, Walk With Karen, happened. As a favorite reader and supporter of my http://www.griefcase.blogspot.com/, I basked in the sunshine alongside the Bronx River Parkway, wondering if all the sorrowful events leading up to our meeting and your friendship, wasn't some divine destiny. Distributing bottles of water, donated by Poland Springs, serving chocolate cupcakes, slices of cinnamon bread, shaking hands with strangers delighting in learning about your mitzvahs and Griefcase Incorporated, receiving donations, it was hard to tell who was happiest, truly I experienced what I lovingly refer to as, "mourning joy!"
I miss you, Karen Doty. For the rest of my life I will treasure your memory. I will remember you, our friendship, the way we bonded, and the many acts of lovingkindness you performed for my beloved, Edward Louis Sclier. I regret I could not have been there for you when you needed someone. You asked so little and gave so much. What can I say?
I thank you, Karen Doty. I will never forget the gallant lady who spurred me on, encouraged me to "keep writing," and who was there for me in my darkest hour.
Until we meet again, dear sweet, Karen Doty, warm hugs to my beloved, ELS, I can't help but think you are surrounded by love--all those men, women, and children you so lovingly cared for all those many years of devoted hospice service. I bid you fond farewell, adieu, ciao bella, bien venue, bon voyage, hasta luego, ta-ta, but never ever, goodbye.
Love,
Linda Della Donna

1 comment:

You have permission to email Linda Della Donna at grief case net (all one word) (the) @ (sign) gmail.com with your grief comments/questions. Responses to your grief questions will appear here.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.