Thursday, June 11, 2009

Happy Birthday to ME!




''We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing!''

George Bernard Shaw



Tuesday was my birthday. I turned age *hand over mouth*. Whaddya know about that.

It is five years since I buried my beloved husband, Edward Louis Sclier. Like the 1960's Virginia Slim's ad reads, "You've come a long way, Baby!"

Indeed, I have.

The grief road is not an easy road to travel and a lot has happened to me these past years. I'm stronger, wiser, perhaps a bit prettier *wink-wink*.

August 2004, my only son got engaged.

October 2005, he got married.

October 2008, he and his darling wife presented me with a new baby grandson.

Words cannot adequately express the pride I feel each time I look into that little guy's bright blue eyes. How I wish Ed was here to hold him and to share in this joy. What I would give for a picture of that, as I wish for a picture of Ed choosing an engagement ring and dancing at our son's wedding.

Yes, I miss Ed. A heap.

Yes, I always will.

No question, there is a pronounced place forever in my mended heart especially for Ed.

I treasure the life we shared, the love we still share, and I am grateful for the memories.

But...

It is important to note that I have moved forward in my new my life.

I love my son and enjoy sincerely the relationship we have. I treasure his daily breath. I love his wife and I am most proud of his choice in a mother for my new grand baby.

I am delighted to be a part of this family.

If you are experiencing the loss of a loved one and perhaps reading this write, it is my sincere desire that my words will give you hope and encouragement to keep on keeping on, one baby step at a time, with the rest of your life. If I can do it, so can you.

My message is and continues to be...

We're not alone.

Here's wishing you and yours what I lovingly refer to as mourning joy all the days of your lives.


Linda Della Donna


Oh yeah, and back to the subject of my birthday. Here, for your reading pleasure, is a list of things that went on the year I was born. What a hoot!

Can you guess the year?
*the answer tomorrow*

The Year I was born

Top Tunes

Twelfth Street Rag
Manana
I'm Looking Over a Four Leaf Clover
It's a Most Unusual Day
So In Love
It's Magic


Top Movies

Hamlet
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Johnny Belinda
The Three Musketeers


Best Actor & Actress
Laurence Olivier & Jane Wyman


Then and Now

New Ford
Then $1,150
Now $20,900

Milk (1 gal.)
Then $0.88
Now $3.99

1st Class Stamp
Then $0.03
Now $0.42

Bread (1 lb.)
Then $0.14
Now $3.19

New Home
Then $7,700
Now $218,400

Population (mil.)
Then 146.6
Now 306.8


Still stumped?


What was going on back then:

West Coast was rapidly gaining population

Organization of American States created

One million U. S. homes had TV sets

Soviets blockaded West Berlin

U. S. planes dropped food

Babe Ruth gave final farewell at Yankee Stadium

Babe Ruth died

Eastern Europe fell under Soviet sphere

Eisenhower retired from active duty in the U. S. Army

Bob Mathias won the decathlon at the first summer Olympics since 1936

Railroads shifted from coal-fired steam locomotives to diesel-electric

Franklin 50-cent piece issued, replacing Liberty Walking coin



The answer tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You have permission to email Linda Della Donna at grief case net (all one word) (the) @ (sign) gmail.com with your grief comments/questions. Responses to your grief questions will appear here.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.