Wednesday, September 19, 2012

If you Have Something to Say, Say It

Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home.”
Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life




I get letters. I get stacks and stacks of letters:

Dear Linda...
How do I become a writer?
How do I write a book?



If you ask five writers how do I become a writer?, how do I write a book?, you will get five different answers.

Truth is, becoming a writer, and writing a book, is a journey. Each writer must carve their own path.

We simply roll up our sleeves, get in there and slug through it.

My suggestion:

Write.

Set a clock timer for fifteen minutes. Grab your fastest writing pen and write. Do it every day. Give yourself permission to write the worst junk in the Universe. Fill one notebook a month with anything and everything that pops into your head.

Read.

Read anything you can get your hands on, i.e., books, magazine articles, advertisements plastered on sides of buses, milk cartons, cereal boxes, commemorative postage stamps, Chinese fortune cookies, to name a few. The important thing to remember is putting words on paper requires fuel, i.e., words on paper. You wouldn't think of taking a long trip without first gassing up your car. Same thing with writing.


Writing Tip:

If you want to write a book, choose your genre. Find a book you like. Study that book. Take it apart. Figure out how that author did it.

If you want to write for magazines, same thing as above.

Attend workshops and seminars in your genre. Join a book club. Take an online writing course.

When it comes to becoming a writer, and writing a book, know this:

It is all there deep inside you. You have only to sit quiet and let it happen. Like a hot spring, it will bubble up and before you know it, it will burp out your pen.

Now go write someting.

I dare you.

See you in print,

Linda Della Donna
"...And sometime when I wasn't looking, I got a new life."


Writing Quote:

"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say." -- Ana├»s Nin